Like colds and the flu, Covid-19 can be passed from one person to another after its initial incubation period. But once you’ve caught the virus, how long are you contagious with Covid-19?
How long is Covid-19 contagious?
The incubation period of Covid-19 ranges between 2 – 14 days. Symptoms appear about 5 – 6 days after contracting the virus, although it’s important to remember that not everyone will show symptoms of Covid-19.
Whether or not you show symptoms, it’s unclear when you become contagious. As a result, it’s best to self-isolate as soon as you know you have come into contact with someone who has Covid-19 and get tested.
As for how long you can give Covid-19 to others? Pinpointing the exact duration is tricky. That’s why the CDC recommends that you isolate for at least 10 days after exposure to the virus – even if you’re feeling better. They’ve provided guidance for isolation length depending on your situation here.
When should you get tested?
Testing not only gives you answers and peace of mind, it helps you help prevent accidentally spreading the virus to others if you are an asymptomatic carrier.
You should be tested if…
- You have recently been in contact with someone who has a confirmed case of Covid-19
- You are showing symptoms of Covid-19
- You have been in a situation where people were not socially distancing or wearing masks or facial coverings
- You are in frequent contact with the public, such as a retail or restaurant worker, assisted living employee, grocery store employee, and so on
- You plan to visit someone in a high-risk group and want to avoid getting them sick (eg. someone who is pregnant, elderly, or immunocompromised)
At-Home Covid-19 Tests With Drip Hydration
If you need a Covid-19 test but are unsure whether you are contagious with Covid-19, Drip Hydration can bring your test directly to you. One of our friendly registered nurses brings your test of choice to your home and can service families or groups of up to 5 people in one appointment.
We can provide answers in as little as 15 minutes, depending on the type of test you choose, for fast answers and peace of mind. If you or someone in your group tests positive, our nurse provides professional medical guidance as to your next steps. Book an appointment for hassle-free home Covid-19 testing using the button below!