Getting tested at home has several significant benefits. You can save yourself time waiting in line at a community testing center, an urgent care center, or your doctor’s office.
You can also reduce potentially exposing yourself or others to Covid-19 or the flu at these same locations.
At-home testing is also far more convenient than appointments since they take place on your time and schedule. Walmart is now selling DIY Covid-19 test kits in Atlanta, but are they worth the money?
DIY Testing Kits
The DIY testing kit available through Walmart is over $100, with the exact price depending on what type of kit you purchase. What do you get with this price tag?
You’ll first need to purchase a code that leads you to a health survey. Once you’ve completed the survey, you may or may not receive a test based on an assessment by a health professional.
If you’re cleared to receive a test, the DIY kit will be mailed to your home. The test is a home version of the RT-PCR test that must be sent to a lab for processing, after which you will receive results within 24 – 48 hours. Everything you need to administer the test and ship the package is included.
- DIY kits are easy to obtain
- You can purchase a saliva or nasal swab RT-PCR test
- Your test can be performed at home for your convenience, which is ideal for busy individuals and families
- You don’t have to sit in Atlanta traffic on your way to and from an appointment
- If you are quarantining and cannot leave your home, the DIY kit is mailed to your home, which is a great solution for getting tested without having to go out
- DIY tests can be administered incorrectly, leading to incorrect results
- The RT-PCR test is the only type of Covid-19 test available for home use
- You may not receive professional healthcare advice from a clinician if you do receive a positive result (this depends on the type of test you purchase)
- You are responsible for mailing out your package per the instructions that come with your DIY kit
- DIY kits are not covered by insurance and must be paid for out of pocket
- You may not be eligible to receive a testing kit depending on the results of your initial health survey
In-home Covid-19 tests with Drip Hydration are $249, although you can reduce the per-person cost with a group or family discount. An in-home Covid-19 test is a convenient, safe way to get tested wherever you live in the Atlanta area.
In-home testing is a simple, hassle-free process. Your nurse arrives at your home, test of your choice in hand. Our nurses are equipped with medical-grade personal protective equipment for your safety. The nurse will administer the test and either process it onsite (rapid antigen and rapid RT-PCR) or send it to a lab for processing (standard RT-PCR or antibody).
Nasal Swab PCR Test
This standard nasal viral PCR lab test can determine if you are currently infected with Covid-19. Results in 24-72 hours. Results cannot be expedited.
(*New York STATE- results in 24-72 hours.)
After your results have returned, you will receive a consultation with one of our clinicians explaining the results of your test. They will also provide guidance if you do test positive for Covid-19.
- Your test takes place in a private, comfortable, and familiar setting
- In-home testing saves you the time and hassle of sitting Atlanta traffic or long waiting lines at clinics and community testing centers
- Your test is administered by a licenced clinician so that you can rest assured that your test is administered correctly
- You can get a standard RT-PCR test, rapid RT-PCR test, rapid antigen test, or antibody test with an in-home testing service
- You will receive healthcare guidance from a licenced clinician if you test positive for Covid-19
- You can always get tested, whether or not you are showing symptoms
- An in-home test is not covered by insurance and must be paid out of pocket (although you may be able to get reimbursed by your insurance provider if your plan covers private Covid-19 testing)
- In-home testing may not be available in your area
How does a DIY kit work?
Currently, you can purchase a nasal swab or saliva RT-PCR test. The exact contents of a DIY kit vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but they typically include the following:
- A nasal swab (if you’ve purchased a nasal swab test)
- A collection tube for collecting a nasal swab or saliva sample
- Packaging to send your sample to the lab for processing
- Instructions on how to properly administer the test
The DIY test itself is simple. You will use the provided nasal swab and/or collection tube to collect a fluid sample, following the direction provided by the kit. This sample will be either your saliva or from the back of your sinus cavity. You will then package the sample as instructed by your kit and mail it to the lab for processing.
The Walmart DIY kit can return results in as little as 24-48 hours. It’s important to note that there is an increased demand for tests means that some labs are experiencing a backlog, leading to delays in testing results.
- Can You Test Yourself At Home With A COVID-19 Test Kit?
- Can Employers Use In-Home COVID-19 Testing Kits For Workers?
- Is Georgia Entering A New Covid-19 Spike?
- GSU Researchers Find A Way To Suppress Covid-19 Transmission
- Atlanta Residents Can Join Emory University Study for Free Covid-19 Test
- How Safe Is It To Visit Bars And Restaurants In Atlanta During Covid-19?
- How Crowded Are Covid-19 Testing Sites In Atlanta?
- How Are Schools In Metro Atlanta Handling Covid-19?
- On-Site Corporate & Group COVID-19 Testing in Atlanta, GA
- At-Home COVID-19 Testing in Atlanta, GA
Accurate, Hassle-Free Covid-19 Testing At Home With Drip Hydration
If you want the convenience of in-home Covid-19 testing in Atlanta without the hassle of administering and interpreting a test yourself, Drip Hydration can help. We bring RT-PCR tests (standard and rapid), rapid antigen tests, and antibody tests to your home for fast, accurate results. Contact us with questions about how our in-home service works or book an appointment today.