It’s easy to think a hangover won’t happen to you when you’re in the middle of a great night out with friends. The next thing you know, one drink turns into three, and you’re on the verge of getting a hangover. Here’s how to make a DIY hangover prevention kit so that you can enjoy your night worry-free.
What is a Hangover Prevention Kit?
A DIY hangover prevention kit is a small yet powerful part of your night out arsenal. This kit will contain everything you need to prevent a hangover, as well as a few useful items so you’re prepared for whatever the night might bring. Best of all, you likely have most of these items around your house so that you don’t have to make an extra trip to the corner shop to stock up on supplies.
This kit is useful for not just you, but that friend of yours who has a low alcohol tolerance!prevent a hangover
How to Make a DIY Hangover Prevention Kit
The ideal hangover prevention kit is small enough to fit into a purse or backpack with ease. Mix and match the following ideas based on your preferences and needs.
Essential #1: An Oral Rehydration Solution
You’ve no doubt heard the age-old advice that staying hydrated is the best way to prevent a hangover. Water is always a readily available go-to regardless of whether you’re at a restaurant or a nightclub. You can always pick up a bottle of water from a late night bodega if nothing else.
However, water can only do so much. When you drink, your body expels not just the alcohol you’re drinking, but the vitamins and nutrients your body needs for normal function. When the levels of these vitamins and nutrients dip, you can actually worsen the symptoms of a hangover.
That’s why we recommend having an oral rehydration solution at hand. These come in many forms from gel cubes to bottled drinks to powdered packets that you can add to water. Pick the best fit for your kit – and more importantly – remember to use it! Your body will thank you in the morning.
- Top tip: Sports drinks contain electrolytes to restore what your body loses naturally over the night. Coconut water is another easy-to-find option that will quickly restore electrolytes and rehydrate you.
Essential #2: Painkillers
A blister-pack of painkillers is a great addition to any DIY hangover prevention kit, though it’s important to remember to use these in moderation. Anti-inflammatories can help reduce early headache symptoms so you aren’t working from behind to get rid of a full-blown headache.
It’s important to note that while you are drinking, you should avoid medications that contain acetaminophen, as this family of drugs negatively interacts with alcohol and may cause damage to your liver.
- Top tip: You can learn more about the effects of mixing alcohol and painkillers here so that you can make the best decision for your needs. You should also make sure to have a ride set up if you plan to take medications while drinking, as this combination can lead to side effects that can make safe driving difficult if not impossible.
Essential #3: Pack some snacks
Food is a fantastic way to help prevent a hangover. You’ll feel less impact from a high-gravity beer on a full stomach because eating slows the rate at which your body absorbs alcohol. Eating also helps restore vitamins and nutrients that you naturally lose while you are drinking.
We recommend packing some snacks into your DIY hangover prevention kit based on your preferences, especially if you know the place you’re partying won’t have food available. Most late-night lounges and bars will have snacks well into the early hours of the morning, and in the city that never sleeps, you’re bound to find a 24-hour food spot somewhere.
- Top tip: Although many people will crave indulgently greasy or fatty foods to help stave off a hangover, you don’t have to resort to these kinds of foods to prevent symptoms. Any kind of food will do, so if you have the option, consider choosing something healthy to restore nutrients lost while drinking!
Essential #4: IV Hydration
It’s true that you can’t pack a rehydrating IV bag into your hangover prevention kit. However, you can easily pack a Drip Hydration gift card!
Prevent a hangover with our Dehydration solution – the perfect way to fully hydrate your body whether you have a treatment before you leave or midway through a party. Our dehydration solution contains 1 liter of saline solution plus electrolytes.
Our Hangover IV solution, meanwhile, is ideal when you’ve had one too many drinks. This solution contains everything in our Dehydration solution plus anti-inflammatory and anti-nausea medication for immediate relief from your symptoms. This formula helps restore the minerals your body naturally loses while you are drinking to help prevent a hangover naturally.
We also offer add-on shots such as B12 or B-complex shots for an energy boost so you’ll have the endurance for a marathon event. Our magnesium shot can likewise help you stay energized when you’re planning on doing a late-night bar crawl.
- Top tip: All you need to do is book online and we’ll do the rest, bringing hangover prevention (or relief!) to you. We deliver IV treatments to homes, hotels, offices, your friend’s apartment, and many more locations.
We are expanding to new locations serving At-Home IV Drips
Optional Hangover Prevention Kit Additions
Only you know the extra items you may need for a night on the town. The items listed above are our recommended hangover prevention kit essentials, but there are plenty of additional items you can include depending on your needs and how much space you have.
The optional items below may not prevent a hangover, but can complete your kit and help you be prepared for whatever your night might bring.
Other DIY hangover prevention kit options include:
- Hand sanitizer or wet wipes: These items are essential for unexpected accidents, whether it’s a spilled drink, food, or something else. Wet wipes and hand sanitizer don’t take up much room, and you’ll be glad to have them if you need them.
- Hair ties: Hair ties are not just a fashion accessory. They can be essential for holding back long hair when that extra drink means you or your best friend has to pay a visit to the bathroom.
- Sick bag: When a toilet isn’t available, a sick bag is a perfect solution to help your stomach feel better without the mess.
- Mouthwash: When you’ve had a couple drinks too many – or if you’ve been sick after having too much – a travel size bottle of mouthwash can help give you that ‘clean mouth’ feeling on the go.
- Antacids: A small sleeve of antacids can go a long way towards quelling a stomach upset. Make sure to take with water!
- Ginger chews or candy: Ginger provides natural relief from nausea, and a small bag of ginger candy is easy to find at most grocery stores.
- Peppermint gum or a packet of peppermint tea: Much like ginger, peppermint provides natural relief from nausea. Peppermint gum is easy enough to find at any bodega. A sachet of peppermint tea doesn’t take up much room in a hangover prevention kit; plus, warm water may bring you further relief from an unsettled stomach.
Now that you know how to pack the perfect DIY hangover prevention kit, you can enjoy your night and avoid the unwanted symptoms of a hangover.
Drip Hydration: Your Secret Weapon for IV Hangover Treatment, Delivered to You
Drip Hydration is a mobile IV delivery service bringing hangover treatments to wherever you are. We deliver appointments directly to your home, office, hotel, and many more locations. We deliver hangover prevention – or relief – within an hour of booking, depending on availability.
Book online or over the phone or online for prompt, direct-to-you IV delivery. Our treatments take between 30 – 45 minutes to administer. You’ll feel hydrated, replenished, and hangover-free within an hour of treatment.