Influenza is a highly contagious respiratory disease caused by several genetically similar viruses. Unfortunately, its rates of infection increase around the fall and winter months. Its symptoms are marked by debilitating fever and a variety of repository ailments. Luckily, we have access to the flu vaccine, an effective weapon in the fight against flu. But is the flu shot safe for seniors?
The seasonal flu shot is a safe and effective way to avoid an influenza infection for seniors. Every year, seasonal flu hospitalizes millions and kills thousands. An estimated 38 million contracted influenza during the 2019-2020 season.
The flu shot is especially important for seniors, who statistically have an increased chance at contracting influenza. A flu infection is very dangerous, and can result in inflammation of the brain and heart, organ failure, sepsis, pneumonia and other serious health related problems.
Are there any side effects?
There are several minor side effects associated with the flu shot. Generally, these are only some swelling and redness at the injection site. Some might also experience low grade fever, fatigue, or body aches. This is a regular response to a flu shot.
How long does a flu shot last?
Flu shots are advised each year, typically between September and October. Vaccinations work by exposing the body’s immune system to a dead or weakened variation of the virus. This allows for the creation of antibodies against the virus to prevent subsequent infection. It typically takes up to 14 days for the body to create these antibodies.
Due to its unique genetic constitution, influenza is subject to something called antigenic drift: the virus can change in such a way that it is made unrecognizable by the body’s immune system. Therefore, an annual update on your flu vaccination is a good idea to ensure optimal protection against flu. Once you’ve been vaccinated, your flu shot will mitigate your risk of contracting the current season’s flu for approximately 4 – 6 months.
Safe, In-Home Flu Shots With Drip Hydration
Drip Hydration will arrive flu shot in hand right to your door. Our team of medical professionals will ensure that you have the best coverage for flu season, and that all your vaccination needs are resolved.
- How To Know The Difference Between Flu And Covid-19
- Flu Shot FAQ
- What Is The Cost Of A Flu Shot?
- What Ingredients Are In A Flu Shot?
- Why Do You Feel Fatigued After Getting A Flu Shot?
- Are Redness And Swelling Normal Flu Shot Symptoms?
- Is It Possible To Get The Flu From A Flu Shot?
- Should You Get A Flu Shot While Pregnant Or Breastfeeding?
- Can You Get A Flu Shot While Sick?
- When Should Children Begin Getting Flu Shots?
- How Effective Is A Flu Shot?
- What Flu Shot Side Effects Can You Expect?
- When Is The Best Time To Get A Flu Shot?
- Is It Safe To Get A Flu Shot During Covid-19?